Loreto Bowbazar was established in 1844 on the 8th of December. It was known as
St. Francis Xavier Convent. It was originally a small private school owned by Mr.
& Mrs. Cooper. There were boarders from the middle income group, who paid their
fees. A Free school was also running parallel to the paid school. There were both
boys and girls. In 1845 the Christian Brothers took charge of the boys. LBB was
the second assignment for the young Loreto Sisters who came to India from Ireland.
The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary 15, Portuguese Church Street, Kolkata 700001
being the first port of call after reaching India in 1841 on the 30th of December.
In 1845 the Loreto sisters were asked to help in the Medical College Hospital temporarily.
The sisters managed the domestic & household duties. They managed the provisions
& looked after the ladies in the Female Ward. This arrangement proved to be economical
for the doctors.
In 1857 the year of the Mutiny, there was a rumour that trouble might spread to
Calcutta. The people from the suburbs were removed to Fort William area and the
orphans and Sisters from Loreto initially were moved to Loreto Bowbazar.
In 1882 the school in Bowbazar which was operating from a house given by M. Cooper
was given to the free section of St. Joseph. A new property was acquired for the
300 children of Loreto Bowbazar. In 1882 the premises of Loreto Bowbazar was completed.
The Concert Hall and other improvements were made. The building grant sanctioned
by the government was not sufficient therefore it had to be supplemented by Dr.
Goethals. They still needed money for furniture and additional Halls.
In 1884 the new Church was built on the ground of the free school. A free school
was to be built on a new plot which was purchased. At that time the only middle
school scholarship open to competition was won by Loreto Bowbazar. Among the primary
scholarships also LBB won two.
LBB was always affiliated to the Education Department of the State. The school leaving
certificate then known as Metric later called the Madhyamik Pariksha of the West
Bengal Board of Secondary Examination. In 1976 the first batch appeared for the
Higher Secondary Examination of the West Bengal Education Council. Until 1986 there
was also the Modern School Final Examination conducted by the West Bengal Government.
In 1990 a literacy programme for the street children began. The idea was to make
the girls self sufficient by offering them opportunity to train as housekeepers
or house wives and mothers who would be capable of handling their home and children.
Though it did not take off in a big way we hope to revive it.
“Nurturing To Freedom” is the basis of all activities in the school.