OUR SCHOOL AND OUR HISTORY
Loreto Bowbazar was established in 1844 on the 8th of December. It was known as St. Francis Xavier Convent. It was originally a small private school owned by Mr. & Mrs. Cooper. Comprising boarders from the middle income group, who paid fees. A Free School was also running parallel to the paid school. There were both boys and girls studying in the school. In 1845 the Christian Brothers took charge of the boys. Loreto Bowbazar was the second assignment for the young Loreto Sisters who came to India from Ireland and the Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary 15, Portuguese Church Street, Kolkata 700001 was their first port of call after reaching India in 1841, on the 30th of December.
In 1845 the Loreto Sisters were asked to help in the Medical College Hospital temporarily. The Sisters managed the domestic & household duties. They managed the provisions & looked after the ladies in the Female Ward. This arrangement proved to be economical for the doctors.
In 1857 the year of the Mutiny, there was a rumour that trouble might spread to Calcutta. The people from the suburbs were removed to Fort William area and the orphans and Sisters from Loreto Entally were moved to Loreto Bowbazar.
In 1882 the school in Bowbazar which was operating from a house given by Mr. Cooper was given to the free section of St. Joseph’s. A new property was acquired for the 300 children of Loreto Bowbazar. In 1882 the premises of Loreto Bowbazar was completed. The Concert Hall and other improvements were made. The building grant sanctioned by the government, was not sufficient therefore it had to be supplemented by Dr. Goethals. They still needed money for furniture and additional halls.
In 1884 the new Church was built on the ground of the free school. A free school was to be built on a new plot which was purchased. At that time, the only middle school scholarship open to competition was won by Loreto Bowbazar. Among the primary scholarships available Loreto Bowbazar also won two.
Loreto Bowbazar was always affiliated to the Education Department of the State. The school leaving certificate offered then was Matriculation, later called the Madhyamik Pariksha of the West Bengal Board of Secondary Examination. In 1976 the first batch appeared for the Higher Secondary Examination of the West Bengal Education Council. Until 1986 the Modern School Final Examination conducted by the West Bengal Government was also offered.
Today, the school is affiliated to the CISCE and offers the ICSE and ISC courses.
Our curriculum is centred around the twin pillars of our philosophy – Preferential Love for the Poor and Nurturing to Freedom.